CPU 100% usage is a condition where Windows 10 uses all processor resources to run a certain process. When this problem occurs when the computer will become very slow and we can not run other programs. Often the CPU 100% usage causes the computer to hang and even a blue screen.
CPU which stands for Central Processing Unit is the brain of a computer. All existing hardware can only work depending on CPU instructions, if the CPU is 100% usage or abnormal then all activities on the computer will definitely have problems.
If CPU 100% usage occurs, all activities to open photo files, videos, documents, copy-paste, run applications, or others will be very slow, even running applications can crash.
The following are some of the causes that most affect the CPU 100 usage of windows 10.
View CPU Usage in Task Manager
If a process is found that is burdening the system and causing 100% CPU usage, then you can kill the process.
1. First-time open Task Manager, click right in Taskbar – Select Task Manager
2. Select tab processes
3. Monitor all running Applications and systems
4. Find the program causing high CPU usage
5. Select program and end task
See also programs that are still running in the background. Maybe certain applications can have an effect even though it is closed.
Turn Off Unnecessary Startup Programs
As described above, Startup Programs is one of the reasons why CPU usage is high when the computer is just turned on, even though you don't open any applications, but when viewed in the Task Manager, CPU usage is already high.
This is because the system is loading programs that are set to run at startup. Turning on too many unnecessary startup programs will only make Windows 10 feel slow when starting up.
Here's how to fix it:
1. Click the right mouse on the taskbar
2. Select Task Manager
3. On Task Manager select tab startup
4. See active programs
5. Select the programs to turn off
6. Select Disable
Turn off all programs unused so that it doesn't run when the computer starts up. If it is already, restart your computer to see if it has succeeded in lowering the high CPU usage when the new computer is turned on.
Update Windows and Driver
Doing Windows 10 updates is very useful to get the latest features as well as closing gaps or bugs that existed in previous versions. High CPU usage problems can be caused by compatibility problems for the applications you are running with the installed version of Windows 10, therefore updating is one of the steps that need to be taken.
To update it is very easy :
1. Make sure your computer is connected to the internet
2. Go to setting
3. Select update & security
4. Select tab Windows Update
5. Click the check for update button
Wait for downloading and install, if it already restart your computer. After turning it back on, try to check whether it has succeeded in reducing high CPU usage.
Next, if you are using a third-party driver such as a VGA driver or another device, try to check if there is a newer version available. Outdated drivers can also cause compatibility issues leading to abnormal CPU usage.
Perform a full scan for viruses and malware
As previously explained, viruses and malware can hijack CPU performance to carry out their malicious activities. Running a full scan on your computer is one of the things you can do to make sure there are no viruses and malware hiding on your device.
In Windows 10 there is already an antivirus that is powerful enough to keep your computer free from harmful viruses, it is highly recommended for you to use it.
Follow the steps:
1. First time, make sure you have updated to get the latest security patches and new antivirus database
2. Go to setting then select the update and security menu
3. Next, select tab windows security
4. Select on virus & threat protection
5. Select scan option
6. Checklist for menu full scan
7. Select button scan now, wait until scan process is complete
This full scan process will usually take a long time because the antivirus will scan all files on the computer. If viruses and malware are found, you will receive a report later and can choose to remove them immediately or put them in the quarantine directory.
Restart WMI service
Windows Management Instrumentation is one service that will always run all the time. You can look at Task Manager and if this service use CPU that is not normally, let alone approach CPU 100% something is definitely wrong.
To reduce CPU usage by WMI, one of the most effective ways is to restart the services manager program in windows 10.
Follow the steps :
1. Press the button Windows+R for launching window RUN
2. Type command: Service.msc
3. Press OK or Enter
4. In the services manager app, you can look at all services in windows 10
5. Find services name: Windows Management Instrumentation
6. Click right on the services
7. Select restart
8. Close all windows
If no one of the above efforts have succeeded in reducing CPU 100% on your computer, the the last solution that can be done is to reset PC.
Doing a reset will have an effect similar to reinstalling, only you can choose not to delete the data in the user folder ( Download, Videos, Picture, Document).
Follow the steps :
1. Go to settings
2. Select menu update & security
3. Click tab Recovery
4. In the reset, this PC section, click the get started button
5. Select option keep my files > this is so that your data is not deleted
6. Select Local reinstall
7. Select button Reset
8. Wait until the reset process is complete
After the reset is complete, your Windows will return as if it was newly installed. Then you just have to re-install the necessary programs. After passing the reset stage, the 100% CPU usage problem will usually disappear because Windows is still clean.