In a computer device, there are several types of hardware computer components that make the computer usable, one of which is the processor which has a function of the brain in the computer. Without this processor, the computer cannot run or be used.
This hardware is also known as the CPU (Central Processing Unit). The processor itself has many types, maybe the ones you know are products from Intel, Apple, and AMD. But apart from that, there are many other products that are not as popular as these products.
What is a Processor
In detail, the processor is an IC component that can control all processes running on a computer system and is used as a brain center that can perform calculations and carry out tasks. The position of the processor itself is located on the motherboard, we can also replace (Upgrade and Downgrade Processor) this can be done as long as the socket is the same, by changing to a better specification will affect the speed of the computer.
The processor is able to process data using very complex and accurate formula calculations, with the help of RAM which temporarily stores data processing the processor will able to do it quickly.
There are several components contained in this processor that you should know.
- Control Unit (CU): Part of the processor that has a function to control processes that occur at the time, such as input and output processes.
- Memory Unit (MU): part of the processor that has the task of storing cache, this memory also functions as small storage that has very high-speed access. Data that has been processed by the CU and ALU will be stored in this component dor reprocessing.
- Arithmetic Logical Unit (ALU): arithmetic calculations according to the command obtained. Calculations are used so that the computer reads the instructions correctly. In this component, the processor actually performs important work on a system.
Processors generally process incoming commands and then issue them in the form of output, which is to give orders to other computer components. Some its functions are:
- Make sure the computer is working properly.
- Run the process of information on the computer.
- Give orders to each computer component.
- maintain computer performance.
- Support computer-specific activities.
- Processing algorithmic calculations.
- Maintain the stability of computer components.
- Support computer-specific needs.
Here are some types of processor brands that are well known and available in the market:
- Intel: The Intel processor is the most famous of all processor brands, almost the average laptop uses it, the advantage of this intel is that when it is hot, its performance is faster.
- AMD (Advanced Micro Devices): AMD itself is Intel's biggest competitor. The drawback of this processor is that the hotter it gets, the lower its performance will go. This processor is very popular with gamers because of its excellent performance and the price doesn't drain your pocket. Other cooling devices such as air conditioners. This type of processor is very suitable for cold temperature areas.
- IBM (International Business Machines Corporation): IBM in addition to producing processors also makes hardware and software for computers.
- IDT (Integrated Device Technology): Processor production from IDT is relatively cheap compared to other brand processors. The first processor launched by IDT was WinChip.
- Apple: This brand is also very famous all over the world. Apple Inc. Apple focuses on designing, developing, and selling electronic products, from personal computers to software.
- Transmeta Processor: Transmeta is one of the companies that is also active in the field of microprocessor semiconductors. And its development and production center is located in California, United States of America.
So a little explanation about the processor on the computer. Hopefully, this article can be useful for all of you.